October 1, 2011

The Saints Battle Back to Take Down Lincoln Memorial 2-1

Contact: Steve Cunha, sjcunh2033@northgeorgia.edu

COLUMBUS, GA – The North Georgia men's soccer ended their two-game losing streak on Saturday afternoon with a 2-1 come-from-behind victory over Lincoln Memorial at Columbus State's Walden Soccer Complex.

The Saints (5-4-1, 2-2 PBC) controlled the pace of play throughout the first half, but were unable to capitalize despite having several opportunities.

Lincoln Memorial (4-3-2, 3-0 SAC) started the second half with inspired play, pressuring the North Georgia defense early and often.

The Railsplitters got on the board just five minutes into the second half when Saints goalkeeper Rade Tanaskovic let a cross slip through his fingertips and after attempted to clear the ball ended up on the foot of Mario Pinto who finished in the upper 90 to steal the momentum away from North Georgia and giving Lincoln Memorial a 1-0 lead.

For the next 14 minutes the Saints battled to regain their momentum and control of the pace, before Max Angel finished a deflected cross from just outside of the box. Angel's game-tying goal was his third of the season and it came minutes after he nearly knotted up the score, but Lincoln Memorial keeper Michael Watkins made a key save.

Minutes after Angel's goal, the Railsplitters had a scoring opportunity that was thwarted by Tanaskovic who made a point blank save on a missile fired by Pinto. As the ball tumbled out of bounds after the save so did Tanaskovic who fell to the ground with an arm injury.

Tanaskovic would not be able to finish the game and sophomore Kristopher Alexander stepped into to fill his shoes and see his first playing time of the 2011 campaign.

With five minutes remaining, Mikki Bozickovic sent a through ball to a streaking Manuel Hernandez who received the ball in stride, made a move in the box and finished in the upper 90 to give the Saints the late lead.

The Saints would keep the crowd at the Walden Soccer Complex in suspense as they committed a foul just outside the box with only seven seconds remaining in the game. Kristopher Alonzo gobbled up the shot by Lincoln Memorial's Yuri Passos on the free kick and sealed the victory for Saints.

Alonzo recorded one save and his first victory of the year, while Tanaskovic turned away four shots before leaving with an elbow injury.

North Georgia outshot the Railsplitters 17-11 and each team attempted two corner kicks.

The Saints return to action next Saturday, October 8, when they host Flagler College in a Peach Belt Conference contest.  North Georgia looks to build on their victory as they attempt to beat Flagler for the first time in the program's history.